That group of students in 1902…
It all started in 1902, when a group of young tennis crazy students, (tennis a new sport which was already being played in England for a few years), decided to follow the example of a few Italian tennis clubs in Liguria, Piedmont and Lombardy by setting up Circolo Tennis Bologna. The group was led by Giorgio Barbieri, only seventeen at the time and the most enthusiastic tennis fan of the group.
After repeated stormy encounters, the students were finally able to make an agreement with the local Bologna municipal authorities who authorised the permission to build a little wooden chalet and three courts inside Giardini Margherita; a public park par excellence, within walking distance from the heart of Bologna city.
The initiative was a success. The newspapers spoke about it enthusiastically, even arousing the attention of foreign journalists.
The activity was in continuous expansion, in part thanks to governing councils very attentive to development in sports and what was happening in the other tennis clubs in Italy and abroad.
Improvements and restructuring of the headquarters followed one another in succession, not forgetting also the substantial damage caused during the two World Wars.
In 1945, after the Americans liberated Bologna, Giardini Margherita and the Circolo Tennis Bologna were requisitioned by the American army as car parks for their tanks. Initially 2 courts were renovated, followed by a further 4 courts. This was achieved thanks to the patience and invaluable co-operation and manual labour from the club members. Accompanied by the hardwork and determination of a very young club council.
The post-war period, however, necessitated adapting the headquarters to the CTB’s newly achieved national prominence.
The turning point in the post-war period.
We need to go to 1953 to witness the first major revolutionary structural change.
The project, designed by renowned architects, envisaged not only a tennis stadium to accommodate over 2,000 spectators, but also a completely new building with a large terrace and swimming pool. The renovated Circolo Tennis Bologna became a reality.
Since then, over half a century has passed: under the guidance of enlightened presidents, all of whom enthusiastic lovers of tennis, nature and, above all, their Circolo, the CTB has survived numerous ups and downs and important restorations in order to arrive at its current standing. A welcoming and complete clubhouse, fully equipped with resto-bar, administrative offices and a 25-metre swimming pool, entirely surrounded by unparalleled greenery and tranquility.
Champions and stars in Bologna
Circolo Tennis Bologna is particularly known for its sporting history and tradition.
The CTB has seen champions born within its grounds; some of the best tennis players, Italian and foreign, have played on its courts. Here just to name a few members on the Rolls of Honour (we apologise for any omissions): the unforgettable Giovannino Palmieri, Renato Scaunich, Carlo Blondi, Sandra Cecchini, Sandra Raiteri, Sergio Palmieri, Marco Consolini, and the more recent Omar Camporese, Flavia Pennetta, Gabriella Boschiero, Antonella and Adriana Serra Zanetti.
The CTB’s sporting activities over the course of 110 years have been recognised with numerous awards, including the Stella d’Oro (the Gold Star) awarded in Capitoline Hill, Rome, in 1970, 24 team championship titles and 59 individual titles.
A testament to this vocation is the club’s longstanding presence at the pinnacle of Italian tennis circles, culminating in the victory of the F.I.T. Trophy (formerly the Colombo Trophy) in 1990 and participation in all team championships, from youth categories to Series A.
Thanks to the organisational efforts of Circolo Tennis Bologna, the tennis-loving public of Bologna has enjoyed unique tennis performances. Among these, with an incredible attendance of spectators, we recall Italy’s Davis Cup matches against Denmark in 1956 and Russia in 1966, with Nicola Pietrangeli playing in both.
Historically, however, remains the memory of the World Group first-round match against Yugoslavia, between Pilic and Franulovic in 1976.
The “tre moschettieri azzurri”, Italy’s Panatta, Bertolucci and Barazzutti on the courts in Giardini Margherita. Three pivital players in Italy’s tennis history, leading the national team to its first and only Davis Cup victory in Chile.
Tennis at the Circolo Tennis Bologna is certainly not only for men’s tennis. The female alternative to the Davis Cup is the Billie Jean King Cup (BJK Cup), formerly known as the Federation Cup. An event with such importance, also globally, could not be left out of the CTB’s organisational history. On the occasion of the Centenary celebration of the club’s founding in 2002, the quarterfinals of the BJK Cup were played on the central court of Giardini Margherita, packed with spectators, where Italy defeated the highly-ranked Belgium 4-1.
In addition to internationally significant events, there have been spectacular editions of Italian Absolute and Category Championships, National Tournaments, as well as National and Open Tournaments with foreign participants, which continue to take place with renewed success.
The sport, training and social commitment.
The sporting vocation, moreover, must not overlook the commitment to promoting tennis at schools: a flagship of the CTB, named after the unforgettable President Gianni Martini, has been one of the most important in Italy for several years, both technically and numerically.
The history and life of Circolo Tennis Bologna are shaped not only by competitive success and unwavering commitment to promoting sport, but also by social events, cultural and mundane moments which never fail to have charitable purposes in mind.
The greatest attention and visibility is given to these events thanks to the tireless support of all the members.
The tradition continues. The CTB may be 120 years old, but it certainly doesn’t look or feel like it.
